Official birth certificates can be ordered from the Texas Department of State Health Services – Vital Records or can be picked up in person at select participating San Antonio Public Library locations. Birth certificates are available after the Social Security card arrives in the mail, usually in about two weeks.
Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for infants. It has everything your baby needs to grow. And it’s all provided in a form more easily digested than infant formula. Breast milk contains antibodies that help your baby fight off viruses and bacteria. Breastfed babies have fewer ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and bouts of diarrhea. They also have fewer hospitalizations and trips to the doctor.
- You can discuss your fears about labor and birth with the instructor and other couples with the same concerns.
- Your partner will learn about childbirth and how to support you on the big day.
- You may find that attending childbirth classes together will create a special bond.
- less likely to need Pitocin
- less likely to have a cesarean birth
- less likely to use any pain medication
- more likely to rate their childbirth experience positively
Sonograms are used to assess the health of the pregnancy and baby. Westover Hills Birth Center encourages clients to obtain an early sonogram for confirmation of dates. The gender and diagnostic sonogram is done at about 18 weeks to check on the health of the baby. When a pregnancy continues beyond 41 weeks, the midwives require an additional sonogram to ensure the conditions are safe to continue an out-of-hospital birth.